RESEARCH INTERESTS: Urban Multi-Modal Transportation System Optimization and Control
- Multi-modal transportation, human mobility and travel behavior, public transit planning, dynamic parking management
- Large-scale traffic network simulation, optimization, and (stochastic) control
- Mobility data mining and deep learning applications in intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
PUBLICATIONS AND PREPRINTS
- Xidong Pi, Wei Ma, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2018) A General Formulation for Multi-modal Dynamic Traffic Assignment Considering Multi-class vehicles, Public Transit and Parking. Submitted to Transportation Research Part C.
- Xidong Pi, Wei Ma, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2018) Data-driven Mesoscopic Network Modeling with Cars and Trucks: A Case Study in Pittsburgh. To be submitted.
- Wei Ma, Xidong Pi, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2018) Estimating Multi-class Dynamic Origin-destination Demand through A Forward-backward Algorithm on the Computational Graph. Submitted to Transportation Research Part C.
- Shuguan Yang, Wei Ma, Xidong Pi, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2018) Parking Occupancy Prediction Incorporating Spatio-Temporal Traffic Data from Multisource. Submitted to Transportation Research Part C.
- Susu Xu, Xinlei Chen, Xidong Pi, Carlee Joe-Wong, Pei Zhang, Hae Young Noh (2018) iLOCuS: Incentivizing Vehicle Mobility to Optimize Sensing Distribution in Crowd Sensing. Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Guannan He, Da Zhang, Xidong Pi, Qixin Chen, Soummya Kar, Jay Whitacre (2018) Spatiotemporal Arbitrage of Large-Scale Portable Energy Storage for Grid Congestion Relief. Submitted to 2019 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting.
- Xidong Pi, Aaron Steinfeld, Yun Huang, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2018) Understanding Human Perception of Bus Fullness: An Empirical Study of Crowdsourced Fullness Ratings and Automatic Passenger Count Data. Transportation Research Record, 0361198118781398.
- Xidong Pi, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2017) A Stochastic Optimal Control Approach for Real-time Traffic Routing Considering Demand Uncertainties and Travelers’ Choice Heterogeneity. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 104, 710-732.
- Xidong Pi, Jackson Whitmore, Amy Silbermann, Zhen (Sean) Qian (2017) Understanding Transit System Performance Using AVL-APC Data: An Analytics Platform with Case Studies for the Pittsburgh Region. Journal of Public Transportation 21 (2), 2.
- Xidong Pi, Wei Ma, Sean Qian. (2018) Traffic Impact Study of CSX Pittsburgh Intermodal Rail Terminal and Mitigation Plans for McKees Rocks. To Smart Mobility Challenge with the Borough of McKees Rocks.
- Xidong Pi, Wei Ma, Sean Qian. (2018) Data-Driven Network Models for Analyzing Multi-Modal Transportation Systems. To U.S. Department of Transportation, University Transportation Center Program.
- Sean Qian, Xidong Pi, and Zhangning Hu. (2016) Mobility Data Analytics Center. To U.S. Department of Transportation, University Transportation Center Program.
- Xidong Pi, Jackson Whitmore, Afsaneh Doryab, Sean Qian. (2015) Transit Service Performance Analysis and Bunching Detection Web Platform using Automatic Passenger Counters (APC) and Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) Data. To Pennsylvania Infrastructure Technology Alliance (PITA).
- Sean Qian, Wei Ma, Xidong Pi. (2018) Mobility Data Analytics Center - Prediction, Optimization, and Simulation toolkit for Transportation Systems (MAC-POSTS). Invention Disclosure, CMU.
- Matei Stroila, Bo Xu, Xidong Pi. (2017) Geographic Position Calculation for Sigh Placement based on Destination Profiling of Probe Data. Under review, HERE North America LLC.
- Xiaomao Wang, Xidong Pi, Hongwei Yang, Yuefeng Xie. (2016) A Method for Membrane Integrity Testing (in Chinese). CN104147937B. Tsinghua University.
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh